When I got home it was time to get to work on the next Kim Diehl Simple Whatnots session. I only had a week to make the first quilt. It went well and the girls in the class thought it was just as cute as always. It is "Barnstars" and the pattern makes a very nice little star block.
I won't be leading the club in February because we will be doing a little travelling. After some discussion (read: no one else wanted to make the February quilt) I happily :) offered to make it for whoever would be teaching. I had even less time to get this quilt done, 4-1/2 days to be exact. Power sewing here I come! "True Blue" turned out beautiful.
It was pieced, quilted and bound....I took this picture of it and immediately saw THREE, yes 3, glaring mistakes. How could I have done that!
Now what to do? I'm the class leader, I can't show my girls a sample that has three blocks turned in the wrong direction. But, friends assured me it would be OK. After all, the quilt was completed and what could I do?
I knew I couldn't leave it as it was, that was just not happening. After sleeping (well actually not sleeping very well) on it. here is what I did.
I picked out the quilting stitches.
I ripped out the three offending blocks ending up with holes in the quilt top.
I tucked the blocks back in...and pinned them in place.
I hand sewed them in almost using a reverse applique technique.
I put it back on the quilting machine and "filled in the quilt pattern". Thankfully I had just done an allover meandering. If it had been a pattern my goose would have been cooked!
And now....I think, hope, pray that it is right. If additional mistakes are noticed, please do not let the quilter know. A small quilt that I hoped to have completed in a day has taken me four days to finish!
So much for being in a hurry!
I think I'll go to South Carolina now and enjoy the slow pace of the south!